Thursday 9 October 2014

Brittany: Dying on 1st November

Image courtesy of NBC



American Brittany Maynard, 29, has decided to end her life on 1st November 2014. She was diagnosed with a glioblastoma brain tumour in January 2014. After an initial prognosis suggested that she could survive for anywhere between 3 and 10 years, she was later told by doctors that she had just 6 months to live.


In the below video she explains her decision:


“I can't even tell you the amount of relief that it provides me to know that I don't have to die the way that it's been described to me, that my brain tumour would take me on its own... I will die upstairs in my bedroom that I share with my husband, with my mother and my husband by my side and pass peacefully with some music that I like in the background.”

As The Independent reports:

Brittany is remaining positive about the time left to her and urges others to “seize the day” and pursue only that which they care about.

“I hope to enjoy however many days I have on this beautiful earth and spend as much of it outside as I can surrounded by those I love."

Brittany has also emphasised that her decision is a direct result of her tragic circumstances and is not suicide.


This is a photo from her wedding day:
Image courtesy of The Independent 


Do you think Brittany is making the right choice? Do you think Oregon is right to have this euthanasia law? Do you agree that it is not suicide? 

UPDATE: Brittany ended her life on 3rd November 2015 - Read more <here>

No comments:

Post a Comment